Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
Image source, AFP via Getty Images Image caption, The volunteers are thought to have been infected before the outbreak had been identified, the Red Cross said ByWedaeli Chibelushi and Thomas Naadi, BBC Africa Published 16 minutes ago Three Red Cross volunteers died in the Democratic Republic of Congo from suspected Ebola likely caught while managing dead bodies, the organisation has said. They are believed to have contracted Ebola on 27 March while working in the eastern region of Ituri on a project unrelated to the virus, before the outbreak was identified. The volunteers are thought to be among the first to die in DR Congo's Ebola outbreak, which has resulted in more than 170 suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said they had died after serving their communities "with courage and humanity". The outbreak "had not been identified" when Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane were working with the dead bodies, the IFRC said. They died between 5 and 16 May and had been working in the town of Mongbwalu, which is now considered the epicentre of the outbreak. On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised the public health risk from the virus in DR Congo from "high" to "very high". WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said the risk in the wider region in Africa was "high" but remained "low" globally. The outbreak involves a rare species of Ebola, known as Bundibugyo, which has no proven vaccine and kills about a third of those infected. What is Ebola and why is stopping the latest outbreak so difficult? Published 1 day ago Why does Ebola keep on occurring in DR Congo? Published 3 days ago Health experts warn that touching the body of someone who died from Ebola can spread the virus because bodily fluids remain highly infectious after death. DR Congo's neighbour, Uganda, has also reported cases of the virus. On Saturday, its health ministry confirmed three new cases - bringing the number of confirmed infections there to five. The same day, the African Centres for Disease Control warned 10 other countries on the continent were at risk of being affected: Angola, Burundi, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Zambia. In DR Congo, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said a tent it had provided in Mongbwalu to treat Ebola patients was burnt on Friday. "Understandably, there are still many uncertainties and fears among the community in this rapidly evolving context," it said. "This incident highlights just how critical sustained community engagement and trust building are." The previous day, an angry crowd elsewhere in Ituri set alight part of a hospital after the family and friends of a young man thought to have died from Ebola were prevented from taking his body away for burial. Along with Ituri, cases have been detected in the North and South Kivu regions. Parts of the two eastern areas are under the control of the M23, a rebel group that controls parts of the region - which has brought additional difficulties in dealing with Ebola. 'Ebola has tortured us': Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads Published 3 days ago 'Speed, money and compassion' - lessons from an Ebola survivor and other experts Published 18 hours ago UK scientists developing Ebola vaccine that could be ready for trials in months Published 1 day ago Image source, Getty Images/BBC Go to BBCAfrica.com, external for more news from the African continent. Follow us on Twitter @BBCAfrica, external, on Facebook at BBC Africa, external or on Instagram at bbcafrica, external Related topics Uganda Democratic Republic of Congo Africa Ebola virus BBC Africa podcasts Focus on Africa This Is Africa
Image source, AFP via Getty Images Image caption, The volunteers are thought to have been infected before the outbreak had been identified, the Red Cross said ByWedaeli Chibelushi and Thomas Naadi, BBC Africa Published 16 minutes ago Three Red Cross volunteers died in the Democratic Republic of Congo from suspected Ebola likely caught while managing dead bodies, the organisation has said. They are believed to have contracted Ebola on 27 March while working in the eastern region of Ituri on a project unrelated to the virus, before the outbreak was identified. The volunteers are thought to be among the first to die in DR Congo's Ebola outbreak, which has resulted in more than 170 suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said they had died after serving their communities "with courage and humanity". The outbreak "had not been identified" when Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane were working with the dead bodies, the IFRC said. They died between 5 and 16 May and had been working in the town of Mongbwalu, which is now considered the epicentre of the outbreak. On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised the public health risk from the virus in DR Congo from "high" to "very high". WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said the risk in the wider region in Africa was "high" but remained "low" globally. The outbreak involves a rare species of Ebola, known as Bundibugyo, which has no proven vaccine and kills about a third of those infected. What is Ebola and why is stopping the latest outbreak so difficult? Published 1 day ago Why does Ebola keep on occurring in DR Congo? Published 3 days ago Health experts warn that touching the body of someone who died from Ebola can spread the virus because bodily fluids remain highly infectious after death. DR Congo's neighbour, Uganda, has also reported cases of the virus. On Saturday, its health ministry confirmed three new cases - bringing the number of confirmed infections there to five. The same day, the African Centres for Disease Control warned 10 other countries on the continent were at risk of being affected: Angola, Burundi, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Zambia. In DR Congo, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said a tent it had provided in Mongbwalu to treat Ebola patients was burnt on Friday. "Understandably, there are still many uncertainties and fears among the community in this rapidly evolving context," it said. "This incident highlights just how critical sustained community engagement and trust building are." The previous day, an angry crowd elsewhere in Ituri set alight part of a hospital after the family and friends of a young man thought to have died from Ebola were prevented from taking his body away for burial. Along with Ituri, cases have been detected in the North and South Kivu regions. Parts of the two eastern areas are under the control of the M23, a rebel group that controls parts of the region - which has brought additional difficulties in dealing with Ebola. 'Ebola has tortured us': Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads Published 3 days ago 'Speed, money and compassion' - lessons from an Ebola survivor and other experts Published 18 hours ago UK scientists developing Ebola vaccine that could be ready for trials in months Published 1 day ago Image source, Getty Images/BBC Go to BBCAfrica.com, external for more news from the African continent. Follow us on Twitter @BBCAfrica, external, on Facebook at BBC Africa, external or on Instagram at bbcafrica, external Related topics Uganda Democratic Republic of Congo Africa Ebola virus BBC Africa podcasts Focus on Africa This Is Africa
Full article body is being fetched in the background. Refresh in a moment to see the complete paragraphs. For now this page shows a summary and AI analysis.